Young Water Solutions is looking for a Programme Support Officer and a Communications Intern. See the conditions below.
PROGRAMME SUPPORT OFFICER
Young Water Solutions is a youthful and vibrant organization based in Brussels and created in 2015 that empowers young people in low and middle-income countries to lead the solution to water issues in their communities, through the provision of technical and financial support. After successful implementation of a series of youth-led field projects across Africa and Asia, Young Water Solutions launched in 2017 its flagship program, the Young Water Fellowship, that offers training, mentorship and seed funding to young people with project ideas that can contribute to the solution of local water, sanitation or other water management issues.
After receiving 800 applications from 95 countries for its first call for applications, and supporting 10 young people (‘’Fellows’’) to implement projects that are benefiting 10.000 people, Young Water Solutions is now preparing its next 4 editions, that will focus on social entrepreneurship. This way, 40 young leaders [10 per edition] will be empowered with the necessary skills and knowledge to set up a water-related social business; and 40 new youth-led social businesses will be created, benefiting at least 25,000 people with better water management conditions. This program also includes a strong gender approach, as all social enterprises will have gender-sensitive and women empowerment components.
Moreover, Young Water Solutions aims to use the program’s lessons learned to inspire policy making, and to improve current youth/entrepreneurship practices of other organizations in the entrepreneurial ecosystem. This way, advocacy and knowledge sharing become key components of the YWF 2018-2020.
For more information about Young Water Solutions: www.youngwatersolutions.org
Young Water Solutions is in a growth phase with significant potential for expanding its activities in the years to come. For this exciting time, we are looking for a Program support officer for the Young Water Fellowship 2018, who can help develop our organisation and assist the Program Coordinator in all activities during the program implementation, in particular support the Program Coordinator with:
- Review and help improve Fellows’ project proposals
- Coach Fellows on WASH during the first stages of their social enterprises;
- Review monitoring and evaluation tools to assess projects’ impact;
- Create mentors’ database and support matching Fellows with senior water experts;
- Support regional edition planning (e.g. identifying local partners, fundraising);
- Organize the call for applications for the YWF 2019;
- Write reports on the different stages of the program;
- Support logistical arrangements for meetings and events;
- Take a share of the daily administrative and organisational tasks.
- Other tasks as required
Profile of the candidate: Knowledge, experience and skills
- A degree involving significant water, sanitation or IWRM content. Experience on WASH/water management can replace formal education requirements.
- Excellent knowledge of English (writing & speaking).
- Outstanding writing and presentational skills.
- Proven administrative, organisational and project management experiences, as well as knowledge about entrepreneurship.
- Other language skills, in particular good command of French.
- Motivation to contribute to YWS’ mission and vision
- Self-motivated, outcome-oriented, team player.
- Proactive, flexible, hands-on personality.
- Attention to detail and diligent work approach and method.
- Able to work autonomously, set own priorities and deliver within agreed timescales.
Time assignment and location
A contract is offered for 70% full-time equivalent (27 hours a week) for a fixed duration of 8 months, ideally starting on September 10th 2018. There will be a probation period of six weeks and depending on funds availability, the possibility to extend the contract and increase time dedication in the future exist. Gross salary and tax conditions can be shared upon request.
The job is based in Brussels (working rights in the EU or Belgium are a must), and it is halftime at the office and halftime home-based.
We are currently looking for an intern to help with communication tasks for a 4 months period (starting in August). This is an opportunity for a Master student, recent graduate or young professional interested in a career in international development or environmental organizations. Please note that this position is unpaid. Based on performance, the intern may gradually acquire more responsibilities.
This internship position is within the partnership with GoodPlanet Belgium, an NGO based in Brussels whose mission is to inspire all generations to become engaged and to build a sustainable society by undertaking positive actions and sharing expertise. Although the intern will directly report to Young Water Solutions’ Director, he/she will sign the contract with GoodPlanet Belgium for insurance purposes.
The ideal candidate will hold a Bachelor degree in communications or similar. This position is open to any person living in Brussels, and has a valid residence and work permit.
The intern commits an availability of 10 hours a week. The position is half the time from the office, and half the time home-based.
DESCRIPTION OF ACTIVITIES
The intern will:
- Manage Young Water Solutions’ social media
- Design communications materials related to the 2018 Young Water Fellowship Program
- Support the general online outreach of the YWF calls for applications
- Create a database of relevant organizations for the call
- Edit and update the website
- Plan a digital awareness raising campaign to encourage young people to become water entrepreneurs
- Help translating short communication materials from English to French or vice versa
- Provide assistance in writing project proposals
PROFILE OF THE CANDIDATE: Knowledge and skills
- Excellent knowledge of French and English (writing & speaking);
- Writing and presentational skills
- Experience in management of social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- At least basic graphic design skills. Ideally knowledgeable about Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Corel Draw or other design software
- Website editing and updating skills, WordPress in particular
- Video editing
- Strong interest and sound knowledge on sustainability, water and/or development
- Self-motivated, outcome-oriented, team player.
- Able to set own priorities and deliver within agreed timescales;
- Proactive, flexible, hands-on personality;
- Able to work autonomously
- Opportunity to interact with different recognized national and international organizations related to sustainability/water/development
- Valuable experience for future career development in Communications within NGOs or any small to midsize organizations;
- Possibility to attend workshops or events related to development/environment/water
- Transport costs within Brussels to attend meetings will be reimbursed
- Letter of reference and evaluation grid at the end of a successful internship
To apply, send your CV and motivation letter including your interest and experience related to the mentioned skills, to firstname.lastname@example.org before July 15th. Please mention explicitly (in the letter) your time availability.
Post image: Gettyimages.be